RSS: Casino News Feeds

Texas Casino Gambling Bill Coming Tomorrow

Play Now at Las Vegas USA Casino! Sources within the Texas Gaming Association say that state lawmakers, led by Representative Jim Pitts, chair of the House Appropriations Committee, will introduce a bill Tuesday to legalize casino gambling in the state. The bill will propose licensing for twelve destination casinos, as well as allow slot machines at race tracks and permit Native American gambling venues to return.

State politicians have been floating the possibility of legalizing gambling in the local media for some weeks, using the response to measure public support. Pro-gaming leaders have been sure to point out the significant benefits for the state by legalizing gambling and creating casinos, including avoiding raising taxes.

The bill would create a billion dollar yearly fund for college scholarships for advanced students. Another billion dollars would go to public transportation.

The bill is being authored by state Senators John Corona and Rodney Ellis, as well as Representative Jose Menendez and Pitts. The Dallas News reports the measure's support is bipartisan in nature and contains many of the biggest names in Texas politics.

Legalizing gambling requires the bill pass as a constitutional amendment, meaning two-thirds of each legislative House must vote for it in order to pass. Then state voters would have to favor it by a simple majority on a ballot vote. The gaming association reported a poll showed public support for the bill at sixty-eight percent.

Published on February 23, 2009 by EdBradley

Help Spread the News

Email This Article to a Friend Digg this Article Bookmark this Article with Delicious Send this Article to Reddit Share this Article on Facebook Send this Article to Newsvine

Recent Comments

Posted by: gloria teboWhen: 06/08/2009 07:58:45 AM EST
As a casino goer from Texas, my family believes that our state is loosing a lot of money to Louisiana and Oklahoma because we have not stepped up and passed the gambling bill.

If you look at the number of cars in the parking lots that are from Texas, it is about 3 to 1 over the other states.

Please pass this bill, It should have been done years ago
Posted by: gloria teboWhen: 07/22/2009 10:40:28 AM EST
Please get this bill passed. My family spends too much time crossing the borders of other states to spend money there instead of keeping it in Texas. While over there we count the many cars from Texas and the number is usually more than that states by double the amount. We will not stop this entertainment, but would like to have it closer to home.
Posted by: CJ EdworthyWhen: 07/31/2009 07:51:06 AM EST
My name is C.J. Edworthy and I am a registered voter. I am very upset at my republican party for voting down casino gambling in Texas. I guess the only way to get this pasted in Texas is to vote democrats into office and get the republicans out so the majority can pass the one thing that we want in Texas(note I didn?t say need I said want). I have been a republican all my life but I really believe that we need a democrat majority in Texas if we are ever going to get this pasted in Texas. If you go into Oklahoma you will see that the casinos there build bridges, roads and also keeps their tax down and surely there is more money here than Oklahoma or Louisiana . I just can?t believe that you folks can?t see the forest for the trees. I am so sick of you people telling me what is best for me when I am an adult same as you at lest I would like to have a vote in it without you just telling us what you believe in and the heck with what I believe in. Look it?s like this if you don?t drank then don?t go to the liquor store. If you don?t believe in moves then stay out of the theaters. If you don?t smoke set in the non smoking section but don?t make my decision for me let me vote on what I want or don?t want let majority rule. I wish we had Ann Richards one more term god rest her sole at least she saw the light and would have kept our money here in Texas instead of giving it to Louisiana and Oklahoma but I guess you think its easier to just raise our taxes to line your pockets with and keep us running to Louisiana and Oklahoma. If you don?t think this is a very good income for our state go tell Louisiana and Oklahoma that and they will laugh you out of town. I promise you one thing I will never vote for another republican again to set in Austin as a leader of the state unless something is changed on this subject. I wish our governor would also wake up, but I guess as long as the Indians in Oklahoma keep contributing to his campaign for Governor he?ll keep vetoing it. I will be so glad when the democrats have the majority so we can get this threw.

I will send this to all in senate and house be republican or democrats
Posted by: CZWhen: 10/13/2009 07:45:42 PM EST
YES to casinos in Texas. I & my friends spend alot of money going to other States every month. Let me know were to go and we'll get signatures for Casinos there in Texas. We live in Wise County
where there is a lot of gamblers that go out of Tx.

CZ
Posted by: PCWhen: 05/12/2010 06:43:58 PM EST
I frequent Casinos out of state too. For me it's fun & I enjoy myself.
Just think, we're going to gamble anyway somewhere & why not Texas?
Keep the revenue going here. It's a plus plus situation.
Posted by: PatticolaWhen: 05/12/2010 06:46:19 PM EST
I frequent Casinos out of state too. For me it's fun & I enjoy myself.
Just think, we're going to gamble anyway somewhere & why not Texas?
Keep the revenue going here. It's a plus plus situation.
Posted by: Jenell ParkerWhen: 08/25/2010 12:46:56 PM EST
This should of been passed years ago. When I go to a casino in Oklahoma, Louisiana, the majority of cars have Texas tags. I also noticed that chartered buses from all types of agencies from Texas are parked in the casino lot. Many are churches, hospitals, senior groups or cities sponsoring the charter. We need to progress as other states have done and put money in our State. Texas keeps cutting budgets when this money could keep education top knotch, charity agencies to survive such as Red Cross. Please pass this bill.
Posted by: james schelperWhen: 02/11/2011 08:58:32 AM EST
Iam a caino gambler. The revune coming
casino gambling should to the eaducton
fun. As it seems one the first cut our
politcans is public education.Our chirlden need all the help they can get.
Southwest airlines says 50 percent come
form Texas. Texas is the larget gambling
state.Lets create more jobs.
Posted by: kenWhen: 03/02/2011 05:39:33 PM EST
what gets me is the politicians that are voted in to represent the people are not listening. Let the people decide. Let it get to a vote of the public.Everyone needs to send an email to the represenative and senator in your distict. Too much money going out of state.
Posted by: Paula J.When: 03/04/2011 05:50:20 PM EST
It is TIME, people!!!!!! The people of Texas are going to gamble anyway, we might as well be able to go closer to home to do it. At least give us a vote!!! And all the comments are correct- there are many, many cars from Texas in all the parking lots of the casinos I visit in Lake Charles. I say "Go for it"!!!
Posted by: shirley mccoyWhen: 03/06/2011 02:05:40 PM EST
YES,YES,YES
Posted by: DanWhen: 05/09/2011 01:40:13 PM EST
It's time to pass the gambling bill in Texas. We have the lotto and horse racing, if thats not gambling what is it. Wake up Austin we are losing a lot of revenue to other States.
Posted by: big robWhen: 05/10/2011 03:21:39 AM EST
THE BIG STATE OF TEXAS NEEDS TO PASS THE GAMBLING BILL...LEAVE IT UP TO THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS TO VOTE IT IN...IT WILL BRING JOBS AND REVENUE ALSO....IM ALL FOR IT AND SO ARE THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS....NOW PUT IT ON THE BALLOT NOW.....
Posted by: R RASMUSSENWhen: 05/10/2011 03:30:21 AM EST
COME ON AUSTIN WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE...ALL YOUR REVENUE AND PROFITS ARE GOING UP NORTH SOUTH EAST AND WEST OUT OF THE STATE......KEEP THE MULA $$$$$ OF GAMBLING HERE IN OUR STATE NOT SOMEONE ELSES......LEAGALIZE GAMBLING IN TEXAS NOW AND STOP PUSS-FOOTING AROUND WITH IT........VOTE VOTE VOTE......